Thursday, March 6, 2014

Having Fun

One of my goals this year is to have more fun with my kids.  I tend to be the one to clean, feed, bathe, make Izzy do her homework, all the boring stuff.  Mike takes the kids out for treats, in the hot tub, all the fun stuff.  So I wanted to change things this year.  I have opportunities to have fun with the kids, but I tend to choose cleaning/paying bills/etc instead of playing with them.  So far this year, I am doing a much better job with enjoying these moments with my kids.

On Thursday, Izzy had a private swim lesson at the nearby Rec Center (I am getting her ready for our upcoming trip to Phoenix).  Typically, I would watch from the side of the pool, taking care of Cambry, playing on my phone, impatiently waiting for the lesson to be over so I could get on with my day.  I decided today was going to be different. There is a daycare at the rec center so I dropped Cambry off at the daycare and headed to the pool with Izzy.  We were there a few minutes early so I got in with Izzy and played.  Then she went to her lesson and I swam laps.  After her 30 minute lesson we played in the water.  We had races, we made big splashes, we played games; it was so fun to just have FUN with her.  Driving home, Izzy was so cute telling me how much fun she had.
She swam the length of the pool switching from freestyle to backstroke.  I LOVE that she is a swimmer.  The teacher recommended that she join swim team for the summer.  I am not sure I want to make that commitment, but we will see.


On Friday evening, Mike wanted to do something special for Izzy, so he took her out to get a slurpee and then he told her she could stay up late and go in the hot tub.  Cambry was in bed and Izzy asked if I wanted to come to.  But first response was, no thanks, y'all have fun.  I was thinking: 1. I didn't want to get my hair wet (lame, I know) and 2. I love the quiet time when the kids are sleeping.  Then I remembered my goal of having fun with the kids, so I joined.  Izzy enjoyed picking out which swim suit I should wear and we headed out.  We had a great time!  Mike told stories involving witches and ghosts (he used the hot tub light and bubbles for extra effects) and Izzy loved it.  I was really glad we went, it was a great time.  I am so lucky to spend these moments with my kids and create memories with them.
Izzy loving her slurpee with Little Bear.

1 comment:

MaryClaire Brown said...

You really are one of the best Moms I know! Everytime I'm with you and our kids, which is pretty often, I learn from your patience. Love you!