Sunday, January 22, 2012

Potty training

So it seems to me I only update about trips, vacations, and visitors, but not a lot of day to day stuff.  So before Christmas I tried potty training Izzy; tried being the key word.  Day 1 there were lots of accidents, with no success.  Day 2 she had an accident in the morning and then after her nap she said, I need to go potty.  She went and I thought we were on the road to success.  I had to take Tux to the vet so I put Izzy in a diaper.  Of course, she pooped in her diaper.  On Saturday she had accidents all morning and then Mike and I were going to his work Christmas party so I put her in a diaper again.  Sunday came around and I decided I was done potty training.  I was going crazy staying in the house all day.  I am the opposite of a home body so seriously I was losing my mind.

  • This is what a typical day is for me: Wake up around 8, head to the gym around 9:30, get home around 11, shower, have lunch sometimes with other moms or somedays Mike comes home.  Izzy naps and then we usually get together with some other mom/kids in the neighborhood.  So there is a pretty good amount of interaction with other people.
  • Potty training day:  Wake up around 8, follow Izzy around ALL day to make sure she isn't peeing.  We don't go outside, we don't go to the gym, and we don't go out with other kids.  I couldn't even pay bills or call people because I had to be following her around.  It was Miserable!!  Maybe I was doing it wrong....

Then last Sunday evening she refused to wear her diaper.  So I said she had to use big potty and she did.  Monday she refused to wear a diaper and she used the potty all day without one accident.  It was a busy week so she was in a diaper a lot while we were out and about, but when we were home I took her diaper off, I did not follow her around (she had to come to me when she needed to go) and there  haven't been any accidents.  By no means I am saying she is potty trained because she still has to poop in the potty, but I like this a lot more than staying home 24/7.  I know at some point we need to stay home for a few consecutive days, but there is a lot going on right now.  Maybe in February we will try it again.  Sorry no pics! Next time there will be some from our trip to Rhode Island...

3 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

when michael was at the inbetween stage 'mostly potty trained, but i was nervous when we left the house", i would put a pull-up on over his underwear (so that he would feel if he wet, but I didn't worry about him making a mess). He's done great so far! (of course there are a few days where he has an accident, but they are getting rarer & rarer.) i think potty training is soo much easier when the kid tells you they are ready, than when the parent tries to force it.

Unknown said...

Potty training is sooo frustrating. I did the 3 day stay at home no diapers thing and I remember being 9 months pregnant crying in the closet because i just wanted to be alone...it's sooo tiring following around a child that doesn't want to do what you are asking! And accident after accident. And that's why Brendon was born 4 weeks early - it put me in early labor! lol She is still young - I say if that's working for you...go for it! Anything is better than nothing right?

Cat and Blake Potter said...

way to go Izzy!!