Sunday, October 2, 2011

Arkansas visit

Izzy and I went to visit Rachel, my cousin, and her family the last week of September.  Some people act surprised when I say I was going to visit my cousin.  I know lots of people aren't that close with their cousins, but I am so lucky to be close to Rachel since we were young.  We lived 5 hours apart and our families got together a lot.  

During our high school years we become very close.  We would drive to visit each other so we could go out together. (some stories remain top secret)! In college we lived in the same apartment complex and worked together.  After I got married we still hung out and would play dominos.  But somehow after she got married she ended up in Georgia and we didn't see each other as often. 
  
It's interesting how after a tragedy, your priorities are realigned and you are reminded of those things that are important to you.  I remember the night Craig died Mike was in Denver and I felt so alone.  My best friend, Jen, was on her way over, but I wanted to talk to someone, to family. I called Rachel, but she didn't answer, I sent her a text, and two minutes later she called me.  It was so comforting to talk to family, someone who knew my brother. She came to visit in July with her family and it was so great to be around her and spend time with family.  The girls played together and had so much fun, I decided I wanted to go visit Rachel. So I did.


Indoor Play Structure
 Aquarium, Izzy loves fishes!
 We went to a designer consignment store and Izzy would not get off this horse.  It's a good thing I don't live there because I would have come home with a lot of stuff.
 They loved taking a bath together
 And playing ring around the rosie
 We went to a park and the girls enjoyed playing together.
 We went to the Peabody Hotel and watched the duck march; Izzy was in heaven.
 We went to a museum with an aquarium and Izzy slept.  I was disappointed because I knew she would love it, but I didn't want to wake her up.
 Eventually she woke up and LOVED it.
 She wanted to touch all the animals, especially the bear.
 Avery was such a trooper sharing all of her toys with Izzy, so we went to McDonalds the last day.  I remember as a kid loving Fridays because that was the day we went to McDonalds.  The girls seemed to enjoy it. I'm not going to lie, I love a big mac once in a while.
Izzy loved the cat, Pickett (and that is an understatement). She woke up from naps either saying Avery or kitty cat.
Izzy and Ansley playing together. Don't let Izzy fool you, she was a little bully sometimes pushing Ansley down if she wanted a toy. She had many, many timeouts.
 Avery and Izzy in the wagon.
 Izzy loved the bubbles.
 My beautiful cousin.  Wed night we went to dinner and shopping without the kids, Thanks Joey! It was such a great night.  It was the first time I felt truly happy since Craig's death.  There is something about being around someone who you can be completely open with, who knows your life, your family, just knows you.  This trip was so good for me in so many different ways.  I feel like myself again and can enjoy life again.
Izzy got a haircut!
Thanks Rachel for letting us visit, we had such a great time!

6 comments:

Rosanne Boyd said...

How fun!! I love all the pictures! Izzy is so beautiful and I am so glad that you got to go visit Rachel!

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

Thanks for coming Penelope! It was the highlight of my month:) I'm so lucky to have you as my cousin!!!

Louise Bergeron said...

Awwww...so cute and I love your comments. Glad that you all had a wonderful time!And thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures!

aisy said...

Sounds perfect. So glad you could go...

Unknown said...

Cute!! So happy that you got to go and it is weird when I tell people how close I am to my cousins - even if they live clear across the country! Glad you had a great time!! And I am way jealous you got to visit!!!

Carrie & Dustin Nicholes said...

I'm so glad for you Penny!