Saturday, August 20, 2016

My first half marathon

My whole life, I have hated running and always said, "I'm not a runner."  I remember in high school our tennis coach would make us run around the high school and I would try to find any corner I could cut because I didn't want to run.  The past few months, I have been exercising regularly and eating really healthy.  Part of my workout regimen included 20-25 minutes of running (prior to this I had not run more than a mile).  I got to the point where I could run the whole time without walking and thought this isn't too bad.  Then my friend, Bethany, mentioned she was going to run Hobble Creek.  I thought I have never done a half before and I'm in good shape right now, so let's give it a try.
Before the race started.

I wasn't too sure what I had got myself into. 
Friday night we stayed the night at Ryan and Bethany's house since it would be a lot closer for the race.  We got up at 4 am so we could be at the buses by 5am.  Then there was the drive up the canyon and then we had to walk about 1/2 mile to the starting line.  It was a good little warm up.
All summer I had lots of good runs and really found a groove.  Then about 3 weeks before the race my right leg IT band started bothering me.  It got to the point where I couldn't run or if I did I would limp for days after.  We were traveling in Canada during this time.  I tried dry needling, chiropractic care, and physical therapy. It all offered some relief, but the most helpful thing was rest, which isn't what I wanted to be doing with an upcoming race.  My longest run before the race was 8 miles (I was hoping it would be 10).  Originally my goal was to finish under 2 hours, due to my lack of training near the end, I was hopeful to just finish the race. 
My good friend, Manina, was planning to meet me at mile 10.  I stayed with Bethany for the first 4 1/2 miles which was great.  Then around mile 7 we ran together for a few minutes.  Then I was on my own.  I kept thinking all I have to do is get to mile 10 and then Manina will be there and it will be an easy 3 mile run with her.  She actually met me at mile 9 which was a great surprise.  It was awesome to have a friend to chat with.  At mile 12, I noticed I could still get my goal of under 2 hours if I sprinted the last mile.  So I told her let's try to do it.  I finished my last mile in 8:37, which gave me a finish time of 1:59:50.  I made it by 10 seconds; I was ecstatic!
I could not have made my goal without her help.  Thanks so much Manina!
So glad Bethany convinced me to sign up for a race.  I would have never done it without her!
So I guess I can't say I'm not a runner anymore.  I actually enjoy it and look forward to run days with friends!

No comments: