Monday, January 13, 2014

New Playroom!

In April we started building a playroom above our garage.  We weren't in a rush to complete it and we weren't sure exactly how we wanted it so we took our time.  

The first step was to reframe it.  I wish I took a picture at the very beginning.  The support beams used to be pretty much straight down through the middle of the room, so they had to redo all of those. 

They framed the back area; it is like 2 different rooms.
The next and priciest step was A/C and heating.  We couldn't decide if we wanted to do a whole new A/C unit for the upstairs or just add wall coolers.  So we waited a while and explored different options, plus the basement was empty during the summer so Izzy used that as a playroom.  In August we decided to do a new A/C unit for the upstairs, including the bedrooms upstairs.  We figured that would be more efficient for the upstairs and also then the main floor A/C unit wouldn't have to work as hard.  While they were installing the A/C one of the workers feel through the ceiling and landed on our bed, Awesome!  Did I mention it happened about 2 hours before my parents landed in SLC to visit?!

Insulation going in.

Izzy loved all the pink!

This is the main area where you walk into.  It took no time for Izzy to pull out all of her toys.  We debated doing the whole thing carpet or doing the first room hardwood and then carpet.  I'm glad we chose hard wood because it breaks up the two rooms and it's perfect for Izzy setting up all her horses.

The carpeted area.  We finished the room just a few weeks before all of the family arrived for Thanksgiving so it was perfect timing!  Now that we have the playroom I don't know what I did before.  It is awesome!  The kids go and play up there all the time and I don't ever have to see the mess!

We set up a desk so Izzy can color and play on the computer. 
Half is Mike's man cave and the other half is the kid's play area.  I love it, he will take the kids up and he can watch sports and they play and I have time to myself! Not sure what we did before the room!

1 comment:

Suzette Selden said...

Loved the room! It turned out great.