Saturday, June 1, 2013

Swim Lessons

I really, really, really want Izzy to learn to swim and I think we are almost there.  Growing up in southern Texas with a pool in our backyard my siblings and I could all swim very young.  Izzy has no fear in the water, which is a good and bad thing.  She is super willing to try new things, but sometimes is dangerous because she has no fear.  Technically I should be able to teach her myself since I was a lifeguard/swim instructor for 10 years, but she doesn't listen as well to mommy.

So in May I put her in a rec center swim class with 2 of her girl friends.  I think it was a good class for getting more comfortable in the water, but she wasn't swimming on her own yet. Love these three cute girls.



 Then my friend recommended a private instructor, Jenn.  She was awesome and Izzy is swimming on her own, now she just needs to keep practicing.  She can float on her tummy for 5 seconds, back for 10 seconds, and can swim front crawl about 5 yards.  She can push off the wall on her back and swim on her back a few yards.  I am really impressed.  The instructor said she is a natural swimmer!  Who doesn't like to hear positive things about their kids?! Made my day!

On Saturday we went to the country club to swim.  Izzy went down the slide by herself and then decided she wanted to go off the diving board by herself.  By then end she was diving in head first.  Love her adventurous nature. 
Down she comes

Splash

I started off catching her, then after a few times I let her jump in and get back to the top of the water by herself.  Then I gave her a push and she would swim to the wall by herself. 

Jump!
Time to dive!

5 comments:

Suzette Selden said...

Love that she is such a great swimmer!

Christina said...

That dive was awesome!!

Cat and Blake Potter said...

Izzy you are AMAZING!!!!! Wow, better than a little fishy!!! Nice work, love you!

Kathryn Williams said...

Izzy is awesome!!! I know where she gets it from :)

MaryClaire Brown said...

Way to go Izzy! She reminds me so much of Parker in her ability to swim at that age. Before you know it, she'll be doing swim team too!